During this week while we celebrate our military heros, we’d like you to think about and nominate others whom you think should be recognized for single acts of heroism that resulted in saving the lives of others during 2011.
A panel will review the nominations and the finalists will be honored during the Annual Heros Breakfast, scheduled for March 2012.
Nominees must live or work in Clark, Cowlitz, Pacific, Wahkiakum, Skamania or Klickitat Counties, or the heroic event must have taken place in one of those counties during the 2011 calendar year.
The first Heros Breakfast was held 15 years ago. It grew out of the desire to develop an event that closely aligned to the Red Cross mission of saving lives through prevention, preparedness, and response.
The program honors ordinary people who have performed extraordinary heroic actions within the counties served by SW Washington Red Cross. Each year, we honor local people for their heroic deeds in one of the following categories:
- Medical Rescue Hero: rescue where a person’s quick response to provide medical help saved a life (first aid, CPR, abdominal thrust, use of an AED, etc.)
- Animal Rescue Hero: rescue of an animal by a person, or of a person by an animal
- Youth Good Samaritan Hero: rescue by a person, 18 yrs or younger, who took action to save a life
- Adult Good Samaritan Hero: rescue by an adult, 19 or older, who took action to save a life
- Workplace Hero: rescue that takes place at the workplace
- Educational Hero: rescue that has a connection to an educational setting (school, playground, etc.)
- Professional Rescue Hero: rescue performed by a professional in the area of police enforcement, fire services, 9-1-1 dispatch, or search & rescue.
And if you think someone deserves recognition, but their heroic deed doesn’t fit one of the following categories, send in their information anyway – they may be the first in a new category!
Complete and mail the Real Heros Nomination Form to:
American Red Cross of Southwest Washington
3114 E. Fourth Plain Blvd
Vancouver, WA 98661
or email the completed form to:
Nominations are due November 30. If selected, your Hero will be honored at the Annual Heros Breakfast scheduled for March 2012.
If you have any questions, contact the Chief Development Director at Southwest Washington Red Cross at 360.693.5821, the Community Partners Director at 360.423.7880, or either one toll free at 888.434.1966.
SW Washington Red Cross
Filed under: Real Heros